|Village: Amateur Radio|
|Description||ham radio at it's finest.|
|View all Villages|
Moved from radio
We have a mailing list - please subscribe!
Things to during EMF
Radio Village Workshops/Talks
We plan on running some small talks/workshops on a fairly informal basis, these will include:
- Introduction to software defined radio - Dominic
- Something TBD - Paul
- Amateur Radio: The Original Nerd Hobby - Ryan Sayre (2E0RYS / KG7NMC)
During EMF the following contests will be running
Special Event Station
Paul (M0OKE) has applied for an NoV for a special call sign for a special event station, GB2EMF.
This has been granted.
Colin (G8TMV) has organised RSGB posters and info leaflets.
Talk in will be happening on 2m on Friday and will possibly continue intermittently throughout the weekend. Operator(s) required. This will take place on 145.550 MHz.
Modes & Bands
Steve M0SPN intends to run voice on HF. VHF/UHF dependent on availability of masts and beams.
Iain MM6MVQ will have an SSTV receiving station operating during EMF on 70cm that will upload recieved images to the Internet. For details on this, see the 57North village page.
- Milton Keynes ARS (MKARS) are literally just up the road from the campsite - http://www.mkars.org.uk/
It would be very cool to have a dedicated on-site repeater just for EMF. The practicality wouldn't be too difficult -- M0RND can provide a 2m/70cm colinear (which might be able to be hosted on the main EMF mast), and there's no shortage of radios which can do cross-band repeat, or something could be lashed up with two Baofeng UV-B5 radios and a diplexer.
The awkward part would be getting an NoV for the repeater, and getting it in time for EMF.
- Voice - GB3VA http://ukrepeater.net/my_repeater.php?id=997
|Village/Station||tgreer?/Everyone!||Organisation of tent, power, network|
|Radios||(tbc)||Supply of HF/VHF/UHF gear1|
|Mast(s)||(tbc)||Supply of masts, rotator?2 * Tgreer has 12m push up mast on his landrover * Hopefully LHS's trailer mast will be ready for then. |
|Operators||See below||People volunteering to rotate operation/manning of station|
|Special Event Call||Paul M0OKE||GB2EMF granted by Ofcom|
|QSL Cards||Steve M0SPN||Assistance required 3|
|GB2RS News||Paul||Emailed, probably a bit late for ticket sales though|
|Southgate ARC||? (no owner)||Already up there!|
|TX Factor||Steve M0SPN||Initial contact made (to be passed to jontyw if successful)|
|Promo Material||Steve M0SPN||Initial contact made with RSGB, Kenwood, Yaseu, Icom, Moonraker, ML&S4</sup?|
1 Steve M0SPN has TS450S & PSU available
2 Cillian (possible V/UHF yagis), tgreer (possible landrover/mast)
3 http://www.centreprint.co.uk/qsl_cards2.htm can deliver in 1-2 weeks, £50 for 250 cards
4 Leaflets/posters received from Icom, RSGB.
|Army tent thing||1||17'6 http://www.rddusa.com/product/gp-small-tent-176-x-176/|
|Gazebo||1||3x3m with sides - Arrived from Ebay|
|PSU||1||25A SMPSU (TCMSLP/M0SPN)|
|Antenna||1||V/UHF Colinear (TCMSLP/M0SPN)|
|Other radios etc...|
A list of people who may or may not be going and may or may not be interested in doing things related to amateur radio.
- David M0TNR `Cillian' (is going, can bring some radio goodies, but doesn't want to dedicate all weekend to it)
- Adam M0RND
- Colin G8TMV
- Paul M0OKE
- Jon M0JSN
- Gavan 2E0UND (Underhand on IRC)
- Steve M0SPN (TCMSLP on #emfcamp)
- Kai DB1SQU (SQUelcher on IRC)
- Kimball 2E1FWL (drrk on IRC)
- Relocker PA1BYL
- Paul M0TZO - bringing D-STAR equipment
- Blake KC9CHL
- Alan MW6ZEC
- Kraptv 2E0RYS (KG7NMC)
- Iain MM6MVQ
- Paul 2E0PGW
- Bill M1DHL (murb on IRC)
- Mark (no valid callsign atm because Ofcom have double-issued it)
- Paul 2E1AWG
How do I add my name to the above list? You need to set your village in your profile!
- Log in
- Click your username link at the top right
- Use the 'Edit with form' link at the top OR use the Attendee Template if you're familiar with MediaWiki
- Don't worry if you don't appear on your village page straight away, that's all you need to do!
Amateur Radio chat on IRC
IRC Network - chat.freenode.net
Channel - #emfhams
Username - Callsign or other username
|Callsign*||IRC Name||First Name|
* If you have a Callsign
Amateur Radio Village Feedback
What Went Well
- The tent was friendly and there were a lot of interested people dropping in and exchanging knowledge. Irl (talk) 19:26, 5 September 2014 (UTC)
- No one sent any SSTV to my recieving station. That probably could have been planned a lot better. Irl (talk) 19:26, 5 September 2014 (UTC)
Ideas for 2016
- Get the whole camp mapped out using APRS. i.e. where the villages are, etc.
- Get all the Hams on site with portable APRS setup
- We're looking at a cheap FOXTRAK :: APRS Tracker setup
- Throw some packets at the ISS / other amateur satellite things
- Foundation/intermediate practical workshops
- Computer Logging (maybe adding to CloudLog online logbook see [here http://logbook.m3php.com/2e0sql/])