From Electromagnetic Field
Invited: Alex, Andi, Marc, Jonty, martind
Meeting aims: establish current state, then work towards a series of proposals that we will present to the rest of the team.
- Summarise current state
- Aims, budget, contacts
- Some notes at Team/Sponsors
- Tickets at http://emfcamp.lighthouseapp.com/projects/94947-sponsors/tickets (you need an authorised account to view, just tell martind once you created your account)
- E.g. Jasper's current list of potential in-kind partners
- Discuss and develop some immediate goals, e.g.:
- Pick up existing conversations with sponsors, pursue more
- How best to coordinate with Team/Internet who will independently set up quite a few in-kind agreements?
- They will be happy to listen to our suggestions, and hand over relationships if we're interested.
- Create a good sponsorship package (which may have further prerequisites: e.g. formalised camp aims & objectives)
- Identify suitable funding options
- Discuss any potential longer-term plans
- Identify what is needed for the work (e.g. email addresses, mailing list, IRC, task tracker, etc)
- Who else should we have on the team?
- Andi suggests: put a framework in place with particular targets (e.g. ticket sales at particular dates) that allow us to decide when to stop or scale down
- Russ says: we're beyond that point. The event will happen :)
- Andi: test our assumptions: are enough people willing to pay when there's no clear event schedule?
- Marc: should agree on a ticket price target, not just a broad range
- £80 may be too high
- Should discuss misc crowdfunding options later (to e.g. pay for transport for prominent speakers: community interest determines who we can get)
Current event aims (to be confirmed with org team):
- A great social experience for all participants
- Don't run a deficit
- Make it easier to run the next camp/event
Publicly stated aims:
- The first meeting of all UK Hackspaces/makespaces?
Develop a team remit:
- focus on cash sponsorships, but support for team with in-kind sponsors. Ensuring promised funds/goods are delivered.
- i.e., in-kind sponsorship is handled by other teams, they develop sponsorship opportunities
- then we support them (we negotiate the details of what we offer and keep track of all agreements)
- by when do we want the budget secured?
- for now: suggesting £2k end of June
- with a checkpoint in between
- at that point we want per sponsor a written agreement, along with a document that documents the agreement
develop target groups for sponsors
- then figure out how to approach them, what to offer
Explanation of annotations used below:
- SPECIAL: reserved for very special cases -- not part of the official package
- POTENTIALLY: needs someone to take this on as a project
On the Website:
- supporters page / space with logo (footer with sponsors, one page with further detail)
- mention in blog post (thank you note to sponsor, introduction to their services)
- SPECIAL: mention in social media accounts (FB, TW..)
- SPECIAL: banners (different level of sponsorships)
- SPECIAL: tags: with each media added online where we'll have the EMF tag we'll add the sponsors tags.
- POTENTIALLY: logo in opening/ending credits -- if video presnt. TBC
- VERY SPECIAL: access to audiences via personalised email (unlikely we'll use this)
- inclusion in newsletter
- post-festival thank you email including sponsors
- POTENTIALLY: give material to a goody bag (eg. flyers, merchandise, press releases) -- if goody bag is made
- TODO: for jonty: investigate the nature of such deals at other conferences (do vendors pay for the privilege?)
- inclusion in event guide
- POTENTIALLY: includion in posters, other promo
- Sponsors for projects, e.g. camp badge, installations
- T-shirt sponsorship and / or any merchandising items
- Mentions on stage during opening or closing ceremony
- VERY SPECIAL: Banner on camp site (e.g. the side of marquees)
- Radio/Video coverage on EMFM/Online streams (need to confirm with EMFM before we set up deals)
- SPECIAL: small number of free tickets for a few key sponsors (this is expensive for us)
- Alex: make a timeline, share with org team (e.g. at a planning meeting)
- Alex to write a team remit
- martind: describe current thoughts: who do we want to talk to as prospective sponsors? (e.g. bytemark: they understand it immediately)
- martind: stavros/logo: what's your schedule like? think we can finish it soon?
- martind: collect all existing requests for in-kind sponsors, share with "Sponsors" team
- Marc: share list of orgs with team: sponsors, funding (e.g. on the wiki)
- Alex: review existing suggestions for sponsors
- Alex, Marc to review potential sources of funding
- Jonty: to research how "goodie bag" promotion deals at conferences are usually structured