This is intended as a first brainstorming on what to focus on. Initial discussions highlighted that we probably want to be quite broad in contrast to the large European hacker camps. The formats can be quite diverse: talks, workshops, performances, ...
We sent a Call for Participation out on 17 May; your feedback and suggestions will help us figure out who to approach and how to promote this.
This page will change a lot as we progress.
Talks and Workshops
- computer security, infosec?
- music hacking + live coding
- "sceptics in the field", cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptics_in_the_Pub
events for kids? - Likely legal issues with CRB checks. Might be able to circumvent by making events for kids "with parent/guardian only" or the like?
- Our event will be "18 and over", full details tbd (e.g. how hard we need to police this)
- Lockpicking Beginners & Advanced class(Pen testers). - I can teach this. Will have to find a babysitter though. NKT
- Electronic/kinetic/robotic/strange art
Who would we like to invite?
- Adam Laurie: "why Bitcoin is completely broken"
- Bletchley speakers (talk to Sue Black)
- Nanode team
- Cory Doctorow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Doctorow
- Ben Goldacre! (Let's at least try) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Goldacre
- Simon Singh (UK skeptic sued under libel laws for saying chiropractic is fake) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Singh
- Someone for b4rn (possibly also for help next emf's internet) via --Jasperw
- There's a list of sciency types that bugs is willing to email on our behalf -- SamLR
"Silent disco" is always a good one. FM radio transmitter and dancers wear headphones.
Need to determine:
- how much is centrally coordinated? (As little as possible)
- how to select good talks and workshops?
- how many tracks/tents? Atm assuming: two "venue" tents with 100 seats, potentially one "performances" tent. See Team/Venues
- how to coordinate speakers and manage the schedule?
Venue details are now at Team/Venues -- that team will also handle tents, furniture, lighting and A/V, but likely not any livestreaming or recording of sessions.
- A/V recording, post processing (incl in-picture slides)
- live streaming?
- See Lighthouse task "Get in touch with livestreaming/conference recording specialists"
We encourage Villages to run their own events and workshops. Could we still have a central events calendar for the entire camp? (One that can somehow be updated by the community.)